DonateNYC is a New York City Department of Sanitation (DSNY) program that promotes waste reduction and reuses through donation. The program works with a wide range of partners, including non-profit organizations, schools, and businesses, to help divert waste from landfills and promote the reuse of items that would otherwise be discarded.
Below are some of DonateNYC’s services and programs:
- Directory: Residents may use a map, a web and mobile application that identifies suitable locations to give or find used products.
- Exchange: Companies and charitable groups can contribute or receive gently used and surplus materials through the DonateNYC Exchange, an online platform for material reuse.
- Food: The Food Portal, which strives to minimize the quantity of edible food sent to waste by facilitating contributions to groups that benefit their community, allows businesses and nonprofit organizations to contribute or receive surplus food.
- Partnership: It is possible to sign up for the DonateNYC Partnership program if your nonprofit reuse group is in NYC and accepts or distributes used items. The Partnership provides members with various advantages, including conferences, seminars, data analysis, and networking.
- Disaster: DonateNYC is involved in disaster and emergency circumstances, assisting agencies and NGOs involved in emergency response by facilitating communication and coordinating donations.
- News and Events: To expand the number of people using the DonateNYC online tools, promote reuse, and assist the donateNYC Partners, donateNYC conducts several events and outreach programs.
- Research and Reports: DonateNYC undertakes research and fieldwork to create a bi-annual Reuse Sector Report, which aims better to understand the reuse sector in New York City and assess the effect of reuse activities citywide.
DonateNYC is a vital resource for New Yorkers looking to reduce waste and promote sustainability. Its innovative programs and services are helping to change how we think about waste and reuse and paving the way for a more sustainable and resilient future for all.